BEING Outdoors CIC is a Forest School, outdoor learning, curriculum enrichment and WELLBEING Outdoors service provider with its own woodland base-camp at Shield Tree Wood, Thornsett, near New Mills, HIGH PEAK.
We strive to connect children, young people and families with nature and each other to build social, emotional and physical wellbeing. We thread a therapeutic approach into our provision – with Therapeutic Forest School Leaders trained in developing skills and a deeper understanding of child development, alongside how to use nature and woodland to include children and young people with a wide range of needs.
We offer our services to schools, families, groups and organisations and are passionate about how best to support our local community to improve the accessibility of Forest School and connection in nature for all.
OUR BEING OUTDOORS CIC MISSION
BUILD INCLUSIVE COMMUNITIES THAT SUPPORT PERSONAL GROWTH, DEVELOPING A CONNECTION IN NATURE
AND OFFERING OPPORTUNITIES FOR OUTDOOR EXPERIENCES.
- use the outdoors and nature to provide experiences to engage and benefit local nurseries, primary and secondary schools, adult and child support groups, eg SEND, through its delivery of Forest School, Outdoor Learning and Curriculum Enrichment programmes.
- use the combination of learning in nature and being in nature to engage children, young people and adults and develop participant’s self-esteem, nurture good character and intrinsic motivation for community cohesiveness.
- use the outdoors and nature to improve the health and wellbeing of the community
- run sessions to connect children, young people and adults with their local outdoors spaces to improve accessibility of Therapeutic Forest School within the community
By delivering on these mission aims we hope that all learners will be supported in developing transferrable life skills and becoming stewards of our planet.
Flexible and accessible Forest School provision
With Shield Tree Wood situated between New Mills and Marple we feel we offer great flexibility for schools and families to access Forest School and outdoor learning opportunities either:
- at our own Woodland base-camp in Shield Tree Wood or;
- within your own school grounds.
At the heart of our schools services is our belief in offering a flexible approach to meet your learners’ needs and your budgets. We will work with you to support your priorities by offering:
Expertise — led by a collaborative team of experienced Forest School Practitioners. Rachel, founder of BEING Outdoors, has over 10 years teaching experience in both primary and secondary schools and leads Forest School provision in 3 local schools. Rachel also has a Certificate in Therapeutic Skills for Outdoor Leaders (MMU) to support children with additional needs.
Graham, also a Forest School Practitioner, and collaborator with BEING Outdoors, has led Forest School provision in a local primary school and has considerable experience in providing intervention support for children with additional needs.
Flexibility on location — in our private, tranquil, inspiring woodland at Shield Tree Wood, or we can come to your school (saves on coaches /minbus!)
Tailored learner-led sessions — facilitated so that learners lead their own learning and develop their interests and projects to support their personal development.
Monitoring progress — we provide regular feedback on targeted learner progress in areas of social, emotional and / or physical wellbeing to support their Personal Development programmes.
Flexibility on number of sessions — stand-alone or more regular weekly sessions.